Scott D. Benner
Scott provides personal legal representation to entrepreneurs, investors, and C-level executives regarding their investment, employment, consulting and estate planning arrangements. Common engagements include:
- review and negotiate private investments, such as angel deals, venture investments, and investments in venture capital and private equity funds;
- review of equity-based compensation arrangements for executives and consultants;
- organization of limited liability companies and other holding vehicles;
- counseling executives and directors on their rights and obligations vis-à-vis the company; and
- development and reexamination of estate plans.
Scott is also a principal in the financial planning firm of
Kutscher Rhodes & Benner, Inc.
Before joining the firm in 2006, Scott was a shareholder (partner) in the Venture Law Group of Heller Ehrman LLP and was with that firm for 12 years. Scott served clients from Heller’s Seattle, San Francisco and Singapore offices and concentrated on investment partnerships of all types and venture capital financings. Scott started his career at the Seattle firm of Bogle & Gates LLP in 1991, where his practice included public company work, venture capital financings, and mutual fund and investment advisor compliance.
- Pacific Lutheran University, B.A., magna cum laude, Economics (dept. honors) 1988
- New York University, J.D., cum laude, 1991
Professional Activities and Memberships
Recent Speaking Engagements
- “Investing in Bio Tech or Life Sciences”,
Zino Society, February 18, 2009, panelist in this education forum for angel investors
- “Are you, or should you be, an entrepreneur?” Northwest Entrepreneur Network, September 30, 2008. Scott was the moderator of this panel exploring the essential character traits, virtues, and weaknesses of entrepreneurs.
- “Startup Junkies: Lessons From Serial Entrepreneurs,” Northwest Entrepreneur Network, March 25, 2008, moderator of this panel that discussed key lessons every budding entrepreneur should know.